There are now more options than ever if you’re in need of orthodontic care. In the spectrum of tooth straightening options, standard braces and Invisalign are the two most common options. There are several factors that go into determining which treatment is right for you:
- What needs to be corrected
- The severity of your imperfections
- Any existing issues with bites (crossbite, underbite, overbite)
- The condition of your teeth and gums
Your dentist will consider these factors and recommend you the best treatment plan, which may involve braces exclusively, a choice between braces and Invisalign, or the option for quicker and less intrusive methods, like dental bonding.
How Long Do I Have To Wear Braces And Invisalign?
Everyone wants great looking teeth, and the length of the treatment is often on their minds when they are weighing their options. People usually prefer to get the results they want in the shortest possible time frame because undergoing orthodontic treatment is a lifestyle change. Wearing braces or Invisalign involves meticulous home care, upkeep, frequent appointments, and commitment.
When people come for a consultation about braces, they often ask us, ”which is faster, Invisalign or braces?” Overall, the answer depends on your unique situation.
- Braces: Your dentist will often recommend traditional metal braces for fixing complicated issues like a crossbite of the molar teeth, or when molar teeth have to be moved back or uprighted. Braces can also fix minor issues like tooth gaps and deep bites. Every patients’ needs are different, but the average length of treatment is between 18 months to 3 years. If your needs are minor, then your treatment can be as quick as 6 months.
- Invisalign: This method is less invasive than braces as it involves a series of removable trays that you wear for 20-22 hours a day on average. The average treatment time ranges between 4 and 12 months, but this figure depends on the complexity of the case. Compliance is a big factor in the speed of Invisalign treatment. Issues like skipping days or not fulfilling your daily wear quota can extend the process. Invisalign can be used to correct deep bites, spaces between your teeth, crossbites in your front teeth, and alignment of rotated or crooked teeth. Invisalign treatment can be targeted to move specific teeth in the mouth, making it a great option for people who have immovable implants or bridges.
Are Braces Or Invisalign Better?
It’s tough to say which one is best because much depends on your circumstances. While certain results are reached faster with Invisalign, movement of molar teeth is easier and faster with braces. Here are a few considerations that affect your treatment time if you are presented with a choice between the two:
- The Benefits Of Invisalign: If you need minor adjustments, it may be faster to get Invisalign so you can skip the long appointments for bracket application, removal, and new wires & bands. Having faster appointments for only new aligners can make the entire tooth straightening process simpler and less time-consuming. Minor cases of crowding or spacing are often treated in 4 months if the trays are worn consistently for 20 to 22 hours per day.
- The Benefits Of Braces: Braces are simply better at correcting major movements involving the molars. This is because greater forces and anchorage are required to move these teeth, and having the teeth tied together with brackets and wires facilitates this movement. Braces involve visible brackets, wires, and bands, but if you have minor issues, you can be treated in six months or less. Tooth crowding, misaligned, and crooked teeth are resolved more quickly than crossbites of the back teeth. Braces can’t be removed as opposed to Invisalign, which people can feel tempted to take out of their mouth for a few hours, extending the treatment. If you think self-discipline will be an issue, bracers are the superior option, regardless of how minor your needs are. Do note that hygiene with braces is more demanding, as cleaning braces takes more time due to the new areas plaque can build up.
How’s Your Willpower?
Are you responsible enough to keep your Invisalign in for 22 hours a day and to be diligent with its care? If so, then your Invisalign wearing time can be comparable to the treatment time of braces and often faster. However, if you are the kind of person who loses items, would feel tempted to take out the aligner for a night out, or so forth, then it’s best to get braces so you know what you’re walking in to.
Get Braces In Los Angeles
If you have more questions about Invisalign, braces, or any other dental services that we offer, feel free contact us at LA Dental Clinic.