If your teeth aren’t looking as white as you want them to, you have plenty of options to improve them. While many people opt for at-home whitening kits or professional whitening at the dentist’s office, there are also natural remedies that you can do in the comfort of your own home. So, if you’ve been wondering how to whiten your teeth at home without chemicals, this is your one-stop place for all the information you need to make it happen.
Try Oil Pulling.
This is a deep-cleaning remedy for removing surface stains from the teeth. You use coconut oil, which is high in lauric acid, to remove bacteria and plaque from your teeth and gums. The plaque you remove makes your teeth look yellow, so by using oil to clean it away, your teeth will look whiter naturally.
Oil pulling is a traditional Indian folk remedy meant to improve oral hygiene and remove toxins from the body. You can also use other kinds of oils like sunflower oil and sesame oil, but coconut oil is one of the most popular choices because it’s good at killing bacteria and tastes good. Oil pulling doesn’t erode your enamel so it’s a gentle and natural way to whiten your teeth.
- How to oil pull: Take one tablespoon of oil and swish it around your mouth, pulling it through your teeth. Continue and repeat for 15-20 minutes.
Brush with Baking Soda or Hydrogen Peroxide.
You’ve heard about whitening toothpaste, but you can save a few dollars by brushing your teeth with baking soda or peroxide, which deliver similar effects. Working similarly to toothpaste, baking soda and peroxide erase stains on your teeth that come from plaque and bacteria. Baking soda also makes your mouth more alkaline instead of acidic, which makes it a less-hospitable environment for odor-causing bacteria. Hydrogen peroxide is adept at killing harmful bacteria as well.
- How to do it: Mix two parts water and 1 part baking soda or peroxide in a small bowl. Mix the ingredients then brush your teeth with it a few times a week. Be sure to use 1.5-3% peroxide to avoid making too strong of a solution.
- Strawberries & Baking Soda: Some people swear by using mashed strawberries mixed with baking soda as a toothpaste. The malic acid in strawberries, combined with the whitening power of baking soda actually makes a decent cleaning duo.
Make an ACV Mouthwash.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) isn’t just useful in the kitchen. It’s adept at keeping your mouth clean when you use it as a natural mouthwash because it’s powerfully antibacterial. After all, it’s been used to clean homes for centuries before modern cleaning products arrived on the shelves in grocery stores!
- How to use: Dilute ACV with water and gargle and swish around your mouth for a few minutes. Rinse with water afterward, because vinegar can erode your enamel when used too often. Its main component is acetic acid, which can be abrasive to your teeth.
Snack on “Nature’s Toothbrushes”.
Not only is eating plenty of fruits and vegetables good for your health, your teeth can benefit as well. Raw foods like apples, celery, carrots, strawberries, and pineapple can clean your teeth while you snack. While you chew, these mighty foods scrub away the plaque on your teeth so that your breath smells better afterward!
- How to do it: Simply prepare a healthy treat of raw fruits and vegetables and enjoy. However, don’t add sugar to your fruit because that would defeat the purpose of your snack.
Excellent Dental Care in Los Angeles
It goes without saying that nothing is a substitute for a diligent home care regimen. Make sure you brush and floss your teeth regularly and see your dentist for routine cleanings! We also offer professional whitening treatments for those who like to see quicker and more dramatic results. To make an appointment for a checkup today, contact our office.